Saturday, May 15, 2010

What we've been up to

Helping with the Community Table food pantry. We received over a ton of food from the post office food drive last weekend!

Planting and watering veggies in the labyrinth garden. Jazmin kept saying, "This baby is heavy!"

Checking out new places to eat. This restaurancito is just three blocks from our house and was recently opened by Guadalupe, who I know from my time volunteering with Adelante Chicas, and her husband. That's Guadalupe in the window.

Guadalupe and her family are from Mexico, but one of the cooks is from El Salvador and makes the most amazing pupusas, which are basically thick tortillas stuff with cheesy, beany goodness. This here is a delicious quesadilla full of fresh spinach. So good! Eric says it's his new favorite place.

Enjoying the gorgeous, summery weather that finally showed up! We're on the hunt for a good used bike for me, so yesterday we walked across town (which takes about 15 minutes) to check out a place (with no luck).

We rode our bikes to Forest Grove for pizza, coffee and more window-shopping for bikes. Still no luck. But we had a great time, of course.

This picture is from Days of Prayer and Action for Colombia, when we decorated portraits of displaced people in Colombia with requests for President Obama to end military aid to the country. Andres is our neighbor and is just about the cutest kid around.

During an ESL class last week, it poured down rain and then this beautiful double rainbow appeared, so we paused class and just hung out by the windows for a bit.

We've been super busy with church work and with school. This spring has been the most scheduled couple of months I've had in years--something that has helped us get to a better financial place but that has also been quite challenging. My days are full of wonderful people and good things but my current amount of rest time and social time is just not enough. I am loving my days with the K-3 kiddos but have decided to not return to my position as an ESL assistant next fall so I can focus on my ministry and be more present in my own community and with Eric. And now only four weeks remain until summer vacation!!!

2 comments:

Abby Green said...

Yay...thanks for the update! I know your students will surely miss you, but I'm happy for you to get to have more time with Eric and for just living life.

April said...

Looks like y'all have been super busy! I'm glad to hear you will be taking some time for you and your family. I'm doing something similar...leaving my job at IWJ to work at Garrett. Should be a good shift. Blessings!