Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Over the weekend

To kick off our long weekend, we journeyed to Aloha (it's really just down the road) to our friend Ron's place for homemade pizza on Friday. Ron made the crust and sauce from scratch and had lots of wonderful toppings prepared.

A common topping in Argentina, where Ron and Cathy spent 15 years as a missionary, is hard-boiled egg. I wasn't too excited about it, but it was actually pretty tasty with the spinach. Most exciting topping (in my min): Tillamook extra-sharp white cheddar cheese. I cannot get enough of that stuff.

It was great to eat and talk and eat the evening away. Oh, and we had a little local wine. Mmm...


Saturday morning was another great Community Table Food Pantry day with 61 families showing up and over 20 volunteers helping out. That evening was Cornelius UMC's silent auction for mission. I have to be honest, I am not generally a fan of church fundraisers--I really don't believe that it is what we should be about--and I had pretty low expectations for the event. But it was a very nice evening, with lots of lovely baskets put together by church members, delicious desserts, and great music by some folks who have been getting together weekly to play over the past months. They had not yet played in front of people, but they did a great job and everyone seemed to enjoy it!




After two services on Sunday and a golf outing, Goose was pretty exhausted. It had also been a long weekend for me, but I had the chance to nap Sunday afternoon. Monday was a wonderful, relaxing day and now we are energized and back to work!

No comments: