Friday, October 30, 2009

30 used to sound old...

We got to make it a whole birthweek that started with a visit from Ann and Brody. Ann and I share a birthday (makes it easier for Eric to remember) and it's always fun to celebrate it together. They enjoyed hearing Eric preach (twice!) and even joined us for a 3-hour district dinner and meeting Sunday afternoon at which I shared about the work the Cornelius church is doing with the Latino community. Good thing they love being at church!

Here they are with Annie's birthday flowers from the farmer's market:


We thoroughly enjoyed our free day Monday, with pancakes for breakfast, chocolate all day and pizza for dinner--plus a delicious Burgerville shake to end the evening.

Here we are at Pizzacato, a really great Portland pizza place that I can't believe we hadn't tried before now!




Brody with the giant chocolate bar we nibbled on as we headed to the theater (to see Amelia--pretty good movie).

On my actual birthday, I had an early-morning message on my phone from Eliser, who sang Las Mananitas (the birthday song in Mexico) and enjoyed lots of nice calls and little notes throughout the day. The pastors and school administrators at the Ministerial/School District breakfast sang happy birthday, my new "little" (with the Big Brothers Big Sisters program) gave me a deliciously rich coffee-chocolate mousse thing, and a couple of my ESL students surprised me with gifts, including a gorgeous bouquet of red roses!

After meetings Friday morning, Eric and I went into Portland to go thrift-store shopping (my birthday wish) and then had dinner at an amazing vegan cafe. Perhaps ironically, we stopped at Burgerville on a way home for a decidedly not-vegan strawberry shake!! It wasn't a free day, but it was my birthday!!!


It was a wonderful week and I feel so loved and thankful for all the good people in my life. Wonder what my 31st year will bring...

1 comment:

Abby Green said...

Happy Birthweek to you!! :)