Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Rainy days in the Emerald City

A few weeks back, Eric and I got to stay in a fancy-shmancy downtown Seattle hotel while participating in the New Church Leadership Insitute and we found it hard to believe that in all our time living in Oregon, we'd never been to Seattle together! The only other time I've been to downtown Seattle was for the service-learning conference I attended with my mentoring class while at Albion! For Pete's sake, it's only 3.5 hours away!

The event was excellent and we had a great time reconnecting with friends, getting to know some great folks from the Oregon-Idaho Conference better, and meeting up with family!

Eric's cousins, Heather and Mark, live in Seattle and they, along with Mark's girlfriend, Jen, met up with us for Happy Hour one night. I've only met them a few times but really enjoying hanging out with them. And Mark and Jen shared their excitement about having just found out that the baby they are expecting is a girl!
Unfortunately, I had the camera on nighttime snapshot mode, so we all look a little fuzzy.
We also went out to the incredible Dillettante chococate cafe where I had the richest dark hot chocolate ever made and split chocolate cake with a friend. Also at the table were a milkshake, ice cream sundae, chocolate martini, more hot chocolate, and chocolate mousse cake. You have to go to this place if you're ever in Seattle!!
The ginormous bed in our room and Eric, participating in one of the luxurious activities that come with staying in a hotel--TV! I'm a little sheepish to admit it because I am very happy that we don't have a TV at home, but it's nice to just flip through the channels now and again. And just to be really indulgent, I was even on Facebook while I watched TV--something I'd never done before.
The view from our room:

On our drive home through the rain, we celebrated reaching a landmark on the ole odometer of our dear Kia Spectra, Silvie:

The happy driver:
Our traveling companions, Jeremy and Paul on our stop a a little local sammy shop.

We'll just have to find a reason to get back to Seattle again soon!

No comments: