Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Carless Commuter

Mira here. So...in the many hours I have spent on the L, the Metra (commuter) train, buses, and walking in the past month, I have experienced some pretty interesting things and encountered more than a few interesting people. Just within the past week, I have seen:
  • A middle-aged woman on a fairly crowded Red Line (L) with a half-full (of something) paper Jewel-Osco bag in front of her face. For the two stops she was on the train, she sat straight up with bag held so it was nearly touching her face, literally hiding behind the bag, though once she peeked out a little and I made contact with half an eyeball. Very curious.
  • Two unkind teenagers who, just as they exited the train, pelted another young guy with raw eggs. That was really shocking--and I felt quite bad for the guy who sat there for 3 more stops with yolk smeared across the window and on the seat-back in front of him (thankfully, not much was actually on him) before he moved to another seat, and then got off the train.
  • A huge metal plating warehouse that is right next to the Pink Line caught fire early this week, and as firefighters continued to hose the place down, I got to pass by on the train and look down into the building and onto the street where it seemed that the buliding's insides had spilled out. Such a unique view. Thankfully, no one was hurt in the fire.
  • A middle-aged man with a booming voice who yelled at his friend through his cell phone that he had been standing outside for f-ing forever trying to wave down a f-ing cab or get on an f-ing bus and this would be the f-ing last time he takes f-ing public transportation and he could have f-ing walked there by now. He was actually yelling this. He finally decided to start walking, and once he got half a block away, a bus came into view. I peeked around the bus stop shelter and there was Loud F-man, out of breath and galloping back down the block toward us. Another guy standing there and I had a short little shared chuckle as the guy approached. It's too bad people are not more creative with their language--and aware of how they impact others. But he was so ridiculous that it was actually a little funny.
Frequent occurances:
  • Getting on a full bus after a long wait, only to discover that there is another bus of the same route driving behind, completely empty. This evening, there were two #147's directly behind the one I was on...and they both passed us. Cause hey, who needs to stop when no one's on the bus and everyone has already gotten on the slow one?
  • Loud cell phone talkers letting everyone in on information they would not normally be sharing in public.
Ok, it may sounds like I'm complaining, but I usually enjoy my commute. I cross paths with a very wide variety of people...sometimes I even talk to them! And I get to read and reflect and see the skyline and occasionally just stare off into space like a zombie. And though the flow of people can sometimes feel a bit oppressive, there are times when I get off the Metra and I feel caught up in it all. There's so much energy in that many people moving in the same direction, then different directions, going to work, meeting a friend, going home...whatever everyone is doing. It might be strange, but at times I really this crazy thing that is a city pulsing and moving...and it's strange to realize that I am part of the rhythm and not outside of it. It can feel lonely to be surrounded by so many unfamiliar people, but it can also be a powerful experience.

At times, I detest having to travel so far and I curse the bad timing and frown inwardly at the grumpy people.

But every now and again, like last night, I take some wild transit combination--the Western bus to the Foster bus to the Red Line to the Outer Drive Express--and I make it home quicker than I ever have and I get to see Eric. And then I think, hey, public transportation is neat.

No comments: