Sunday, January 07, 2007

Film School Application

Eric here. I have to thank Mira for keeping up with the maintenance of this blog--left to my own devices, y'all would be wondering if I ever made it to the "big time" of being a waiter at the BFC!

Anyway, as you know, one of my goals for this year was applying to a film school in the Chicago region. With a January 3rd deadline, I set out early on to get Columbia College's application in on time...and I did! I was blessed to be the benefactor of two letters of recommendation from two beloved friends and former bosses. And, since I have no actual film experience, I also included a proposed film idea that I would be glad to talk to you more about if you so wish. Because I want to make this film and have devoted some considerable time, I won't share exact details, but the picture at left is a "photoshop" creation to give you a clue regarding its potential subject matter.

For Columbia to accept me takes a good amount of faith on their part in my potential, and given the number of candidates that have potential and physical evidence of filmmaking ability, I would not be surprised if they choose not to accept me. I am hopeful, however, that they see my heart and soul resides in helping folks to share their stories in creative and life-changing ways and that I need them to mold me. My future does not rest completely in their hands, however, as I plan to make documentary films regardless of their decision.

Anyway, since I have completed the app and we have our weekends off together, Mira and I have gotten more time to spend with each other, just hanging out. Today after our church's wonderful Epiphany service, we actually spent the whole day walking around this beautiful city of ours (for those of you who know Chicago, we went down to Wicker Park, and then up through Bucktown, Lincoln Park and Lakeview), talking about our hopes and dreams for the future. If you haven't done that with your significant other lately, I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Eric - great job on getting your application in early. You inspired me. I just submitted my application for an acupuncture program.

You have the creativity, imagination & drive to a fantastic job on creating documentaries. No matter what happens as far as your acceptance goes - don't give up the dream. I believe in you!
Love,
Kris

Anonymous said...

Hi Eric & Mira, Finally got the address right. Good to see you are at work and enjoying Chicago. I guess you didn't get involved in the family movie/commercials, some of those would have been great clips to send. I know you have seen some, that in itself would be enough to inspire someone to go after a film career. :)
I'm sitting here watching the second snowstorn of the season, being thankful that I don't have 1000 animals to take care of.
We had a great time w/ Annie, Brody, Linda and Pat down in Mo. for new year.
Best wishes to you! Dave And Nancy B.