Wednesday, May 23, 2007

To Sneeze or Not to Sneeze

On this hot and windy afternoon, one of the worst allergy days for me so far this year, I thought it would be fitting to share this poem, written by my step-dad, Jim:

To Sneeze or Not to Sneeze
(with apologies to William Shakespeare)
To sneeze or not to sneeze,
For me, that is the question. Whether
In the mind ‘tis nobler
To suffer a runny nose and congested head
Or to have qualms against a sea of herbal tea and
By opposing it to lie, to lie awake for hours,
To sweep the covers off my feverish bod, and
Amid sinus headache and a thousand dirty Kleenex,
For a sneeze is air too. ‘Tis a proclamation
Snoutly to be wished. To sneeze,
To blow my nose, perchance to clear my head.
Under that pillow, ay, there’s my VapoRub!
© 2007 James Rasmusson

No comments: