Saturday, September 22, 2007

A Refugee Camp in the Heart of the City

Yesterday I visited the interactive exhibit currently in Grant Park, A Refugee Camp in the Heart of the City. Staff of Doctors Without Borders took groups on guided tours around the "camp" and talked about refugee needs and how those needs are addressed by humanitarian organizations like theirs.


In refugee camps full of people who have crossed borders fleeing violence, groups like Doctors Without Borders and Oxfam provide and facilitate the provision of food, medical care, shelter, latrines, mental health care, and drinking water. The work they do is incredible and far-reaching, though the numbers--33 million people worldwide are currently displaced by violent conflict--and needs are overwhelming. We all know that Sudan has recently (and not so recently) produced insane numbers of refugees and internally displaced persons, but are we aware that Burundians, Palestinians, and Afghans, among others, have stayed in refugee camps and temporary shelters in neighboring countries for decades? My own awareness has been pretty limited.

I found myself incredibly impressed by the work being done and the level of commitment on the part of staff and supporters of these kinds of organizations, but I also left with lots of questions: Do the kids have any access to an education? Are there opportunities, in addition to working for relief organization, to earn a livelihood or practice a trade? What must it be like to live your entire life in a refugee camp? How does that shape your identity and sense of worth? How do we work toward a world where people can live safely and provide for themselves and their families in their homeland?

On my way back to the train station, I wandered through the garden in (or next to?) Millennium Park. I had never explored it before because, from the outside, it looks like an arborvitae fortress (something we had experienced quite enough of in Oregon), but it is quite beautiful and peaceful.


I also ran into Olivia, who was a member of my youth group at United Church of Rogers Park, where I served while in seminary. It was great to catch up a bit.


We have been having some incredible fall weather and I have very much enjoyed being outside!

No comments: