Thursday, August 03, 2006

The job hunt continues

This is Eric. Mira has been in Michigan watching little Justin this week while Rose and Robert go on their honeymoon. For those of you who are wondering, like we are, "just what the heck are those guys going to be doing to pay for rent, etc?" we are in the process of job hunting, and while Mira has been away, I have been pounding the pavement. I sent in my resume to several area vegetarian restaurants/organic markets, and even a few to some that serve meat (gasp!), so the waiting and "should I call now?" game begins. One thing that is pretty cool is that after I talked to Josie at Karyn's (a vegetarian restaurant and market / generally all around holistically healthy place), he called me back to invite me to come to a workshop later today, where Karyn said she wanted to talk to me. It seems like a cool place to work. I am also glad to go back today when the temperature has dropped something like 30 degrees so I am not a big sweaty monster when I meet Karyn: "Oh yeah, you're the guy who had to ring his shirt out before the job interview--The position has been filled, and here's a towel for the love of God."

On other fronts, Mira and I were invited by our friend Joseph Marshak to a Mennonite potluck at one of the Reba place fellowship houses, which was fun in itself--lots of young, earthy people and excellent food. But we also met the chair of the Acoustics dept at Columbia College, (in the Reba place website, he's the guy in the green overalls with a beard) who said that he could put me in touch with the chair of the film department. He reintroduced me to the quite familiar debate between spending a ton of money, going to film school for accreditation and prestige versus spending a ton of money, getting equipment and just doing it. Beyond that, he said, I should talk to someone who is actually doing documentary film, which is what he will help me to do.

1 comment:

Botakbird said...

Hi Eric, my name is Bernard Teo from Singapore. It' an island country in South East Asia, not Africa =)

I've been job hunting for 5 months now and my wife is pregnant with a pair of fraternal twins. So, I'm getting real anxious of being jobless.

Visit my blog if you've got time.
http://bernie-humanrevolution.blogspot.com