Saturday, July 19, 2008

Good things

There are a few things about our new home and community that I am particularly excited about:

People. I have really enjoyed getting to know the folks in this community. A few days ago, I visited with our neighbors across the street, who are from Guatemala. On the corner are Max and Roxie who are spunky and great.

Small town living. People in small towns often seem friendlier, less hurried, less suspicious. I have loved returning for a second time to places--the library, the farmers market, the coffee shop--and not only seeing some of the same people, but being recognized by them.
There is less red tape. The day we moved into the parsonage, we called the city to have our water turned on. Literally two minutes later, a truck pulled up while we stood in the yard, the driver got out and was greeted by name by the parishioners helping us unload, and we had water! And also--people wave to each other! I love that!

Biking. I bought a vintage blue Schwinn cruiser from a man down the street and have been riding it everywhere! It has a basket on the front, which I love filling with library books or groceries. I'm thinking of getting an old fashioned bell for the handle bars.

Being on a gym schedule again. We joined the Anytime Fitness that is just a few blocks away and have gone every morning so far (it's been almost a week). They have all new equipment with individual TVs on them--dangerous. And we have access to the place 24 hours a day.

Driving. People are much more patient here and do far fewer stupid, dangerous things than Chicago drivers do. I am still getting the hang of driving a stick shift and I am amazed that I have not been honked at a single time, even though I have stalled (more than twice) at intersections with lots of traffic behind me. Also, people actually stop at crosswalks--even the ones that are don't have the painted white lines. A note to my Chicago friends: there is a crosswalk at every intersection and you are legally obligated to stop for pedestrians. I didn't know if you knew this. I love living in a place where crosswalks are taken seriously!

Commuting. Goose and I live about 30 feet away from the church building where both of our offices are. Perhaps we will tire of this proximity, but I am currently loving it. I don't have to pack a lunch. I don't have to waste time waiting for a bus or sitting on the train or stuck in traffic. And because our offices are next door to each other, we can go home together for lunch and just check in whenever. I love it!

The produce. Everything grows well here and we have loved buying local stuff. The berries? Better than any I have ever had. Ever.

Breakfast. With our flexible schedules, Goose and I have been able to return to the morning ritual we have loved in the past but hadn't been able to manage for quite a while--breakfast together. We ride our bikes to the gym each morning then he makes oatmeal (with fresh fruit!) or something else and I make the coffee. And we get to eat and sip and talk and laugh and set up our days. It's the best.

3 comments:

Court said...

I am soooo happy that you are back in the state! Let's hang out sometime!

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled for you and just a wee bit jealous (ok maybe a lot) of your days that sound Oregonian and idyllic. (I'm sure you are doing real work too.) Talk to you later, I have to hike to the urban laundromat down the street (pooh)

Sarah

Abby Green said...

It sounds like you are truly "home"! :)