Saturday, August 02, 2008

It's been a whole month?

The rhythms of daily and weekly life are quite a bit different now from what they were during our last year in Chicago. The days are less-packed and our sphere has become much smaller. Though we have gathered with good friends here and there and have explored the area some, much of our time is spent close to home--something that I have really enjoyed. Today I spent nearly my whole day off organizing books and papers and trying to find a special place for each of the little things that remain in boxes! I rode my bike to the library and then came home and created a special place for library items! I'm not naturally good at it, but I really like to be organized! Oh, and we've also been getting a decent amount of sleep. It's amazing how much less often I think about drinking coffee (and actually drinking coffee) when I am well-rested.

Yesterday, we took a trip into Portland to meet Stephanie, a Chicago New Sanctuary friend, and her roommate, Lizzie. They are in Oregon for a week with Common Circle Expeditions, a non-profit organization that leads folks on sustainability-oriented bike trips that include service projects and visits to sustainable organizations and projects. And they get to ride along the amazing Oregon coast! I had never heard of this organization before but their trip sounds like something that Eric and I would definitely be interested in doing.

We had a lovely dinner on the patio of McMenamins White Eagle Saloon in Northeast Portland.


Other highlights from the week include:

*Taking Melchor, a guy from the migrant camp I've been visiting, to the DMV. He is from a town that is very close to the town I visited in rural Oaxaca and has quite a story. He shared it with me over potato wedges and Gatorade in a shady spot in the parking lot. I look forward to going out there for another Bible study tomorrow. It will likely be the last trip out there this summer because the blueberries are nearly gone and the workers are all moving on to Eastern Oregon, Washington, or California.

*Visiting families in the neighborhood to invite their kids to the Forest Grove Multicultural Day Camp, a week-long program that starts Monday. I'm really excited that several of the folks I visited are going to participate!

*Driving into Portland one morning with Don, a member of the Cornelius church who helped us pick up some free chairs (see below) in his truck. He is a lovely man.

*Meeting with lay people at two different churches that are doing amazing work in the Latino community--and neither speaks Spanish fluently! I left those meetings so inspired...

*Starting a weight-lifting routine! We have both been sore, but it is good to work hard.

Here are a few more shots of our house. These chairs were freebies from the United Methodist Conference Center. They're not intended to be dining room chairs, but they work--and are way comfy.


The living/dining shot. Next step: put stuff up on the walls!

And here are a few pictures from the Cornelius picnic last Sunday. Barbara pulls weeds:


The intense game of croquet--Jenny, Don and Albert:

Mabel and Bonnie enjoying the game from the bleachers:

1 comment:

JB said...

Hey there you guys! It's great to see that you are settling in out there!! Your house is adorable and it looks like you are connecting and reconnecting all over the place - which is no surprise of course. We have loved living next door to the church and I hope you will continue to as well. Keep blogging so we can keep up!