Friday, December 04, 2009

Hotcakes, Jim-style

During my adolescent years, there were many things that I did not *appreciate* about my parents. Ok, I was a huge brat and appreciated very little. As an adult, it's fun to notice that not only am I thankful for so many of their wonderful and quirky characteristics and habits, but that I have taken on many of them myself.

One of the things that baffled me about my step-dad, Jim, as a young person was his lengthy food prep process. The meal would be ready and on the table and Jim would take about five additional minutes to arrange, add condiments, cut, reheat some portions (e.g. for optimum cheese meltage), and just get all set. By the time his first bite was on his fork, my plate was clean. I'd be so hungry that I could not imagine anything besides instant gratification. Now, I realize that taking the time to prepare things just-so can really enhance the eating experience--and make it last longer!

Jim's method of preparing pancakes on his plate is the best, so I thought I'd do a little tutorial here, so you too can reach your full breakfast potential. This if for you, Jim. Let me know if I've gotten it right!

First, have Eric make you his special free-day blueberry pancakes. Or use whatever pancakes you happen to have around. Make a stack of two or three and apply butter liberally on the top of each pancakes. Add additional toppings if you like. I put a layer of homemade apple butter on the second pancake here. These pictures are really not the highest quality possible because I was salivating hungrily while photographing.

Next, use a pizza cutter to cut your cakes into 4 or 5 strips.

Now, with both hands, turn your entire plate 90 degrees counterclockwise and make about 4 more slices (paying close attention to symmetry) so that your pancakes are in little squares.

Now, this next step is an important one: fluff! Here, Eric is using utensils, but ideal fluffing is done by hand. I did some additional fluffing with both hands when he was done here.

Once you have a nice pile, add syrup generously. You now have the maximum surface area possible, so you get thorough and even distribution and saturation of syrup.

Mmm...just look at that delicious, gooey pile of pancake.

Now you're ready to eat! Eric was already on his second serving of pancakes by the time I started eating, but I thoroughly enjoyed mine! It was worth the wait!

Thanks, Jim, for all that you've taught me, including little things like this that make life just a little more enjoyable!

1 comment:

RalĂș! said...

nao entendi nada que tava escrito pq ta tudo em ingles..
mas adorei as fotos!