Monday, September 01, 2008

Oregon State Fair

A member of the Cornelius church gave us two tickets to the State Fair--thanks, Jim!

It was quite a spectacle! We watched people catapulted insanely high into the air on a giant slingshot. We saw dogs compete to see who could dive the longest distance--one lab leapt 24 feet before he hit the water! There were displays of beautiful photography, elaborate cakes, fancy pies, homemade wines. We smelled so many foods...elephant ears and corn on the cob and yakisoba noodles--even tofurky! We saw so many different kinds of people! We wandered through the booths and the carnival, which, with all its lights and sounds and smells and movement, would feel like an attack on my senses if it weren't so intriguing.

One of my favorite parts was going through the exhibit hall where endless gadgets are displayed and sold. It's like hundreds of live informercials happening at the same time and there is something great about meandering up and down the aisles, listening to the spiels, laughing at the ridiculousness of some of them. I was amazed at how many people were actually buying these items--special dusters and shammies, hand lotions and insoles, glass cutters and hose nozzles, knives, massaging chairs, giant sewing machines. I'm not sure why I enjoyed this hall so much. I hate malls and dislike shopping in general, but there is something that made it hard for me to pull myself away from this particular display of consumerism.

The trip to Salem was made complete by a stop at Marco Polo international restaurant where we ate, for the second time in one week, their vegetarian General Tso's "Chicken." This is the best thing I've ever eaten and I could eat it every day without tiring:

1 comment:

holly said...

i always love seeing the photos you post... i only wish i could think to take photos as often as i'd like... thanks for sharing :) it makes me feel like i'm right there with you (great ferris wheel shot, btw)