Sunday, May 08, 2011

Curtains!

Leah and Freya showed up at our door Saturday morning, extra straight pins, a rotary cutter, and two hot cups of caramel apple spice (yum!) in hand, for a day of sewing.

This fabric isn't my all-time favorite, but it matches the hodge-podge of colors in the guest room bedding and it was cheap! I picked it up at Ikea a long time ago--it may have actually been our trip to Ikea two years ago where we received the phone call that Freya had been born that morning!--and have been planning to make guest room curtains ever since. Here's the sad, naked window that has greeted our visitors over the past two and a half years:

In my phone conversation with my ministry coach a few weeks back, I mentioned the curtains as one project I'd like to complete before this baby comes, and she suggested making a date to do it. So I asked Leah, who has made simple, beautiful curtains for her whole house, if she'd help me and we put it on the calendar for a day that Eric would be off playing golf. Mat was going to hang out with Freya that day, but he was invited to help dig a ditch, which I'm sure was loads of fun, and Freya came along to help.

Here I am using the rotary fabric cutter like a pro:

We only had to pull out the sewing machine manual a few times (there are so many dials and buttons on that thing and winding the bobbin always mystifies me) but we did it! After a few hours, some cheese sticks, many measurements and scribbled math, breaks to eat yogurt and granola and crawl around like farm animals on the floor, one failed nap attempt and lots of oldies but goodies on the Raffi pandora station, we had two curtain panels!

Now I just need to get the rods (which have also been gathering dust in storage) mounted so I can hang these babies! I think having a new little Conklin around this summer will be the main draw for potential visitors, but having a more hospitable space to offer won't hurt. If you'd like to see these curtains in person, please come visit!

No comments: