Saturday, May 14, 2011

Un baby shower

The first time I asked a Spanish-speaking friend how to say "baby shower" in Spanish, she simply replied, "Un baby shower." And last week, I got to experience un baby shower. My friends and neighbors, Matilde and Lupe, gathered these wonderful women and their kiddos without my knowing and then invited me to stop by their "meeting." Surprise!!

We had a wonderful time playing silly games and visiting and eating tostadas followed by a homemade tres leches cake and some baby shower flan...mmmm......

Their sweet and generous gifts made my heart grateful and, though I feel a little strange being the center of attention, I couldn't help but smile with each tiny little cap or onesie or package of wipes I held up.

Though we may be accustomed at showers to opening each gift, announcing the giver, and ensuring that someone writes that name on a thank-you note list, not everyone does it that way! The tradition of these party people is that the recipient holds each package and, before opening it, guesses who gave it. If she guesses correctly, she gets to make a mark on the giver's face with some sort of make-up. If she guesses incorrectly, the giver is revealed and that person gets to make a mark on the recipient's face. And that's why I look like the Joker here. I was clearly not a very good guesser.

I am so very grateful that our little one will be born into this wonderful community of women and, as you may guess from this picture, will join a few other little ones who will likely be born within a month on either side. I know that I am loved, but being on the receiving end of such generous, surprising acts of love are so special.

1 comment:

Abby Green said...

Wow, what a wonderful community!!