Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Happy Feet

Call me the anti-shopper, but I do not like spending money and malls leave me feeling exhausted. But after years of coveting my friends' Chacos (and resisting paying $70 to get them--on sale, none the less--from REI), I spied one sandal in the above pair buried under some ugly black pumps on a rack at the Goodwill just before the store closed. Could it be? I drew my breath in and held my prize up to Eric: "It's in great shape. Do you think it will fit???" I tore my running shoe and sock off and (if thinking about trying on used sandals without socks makes you queasy, you may want to stop reading here) slid my foot through the straps and tightened them. It fit! It fit!

Then came the voice over the loudspeaker: "Attention Goodwill customers. The time is 8:00 and our store is now closed." Frantically, I scanned the sea of black footware, searching for the other Chaco. Demanding Eric's help, I lifted boots, platforms, slippers (ew!) until...victory! There she was. We made our way to the checkout, paid our $4.99 and danced out the door. Ok, I was the only one dancing. I may have even jumped up a few times to click my heels together.

It has occurred to me to remind myself more than once that these sandals are just things that in the grand scheme of things do not matter in the least. That this shopping high will fade. But in the meantime, I am enjoying this little find that causes me to click my heels together.

4 comments:

Abby Green said...

wow...what a score! I LOVE my chacos!

April said...

Gotta love five dollar shoes...and keeping one more thing out of the landfill. Good job, Mira!

Scott C said...

I've had mine resoled twice (just send them to Chaco) and LOVE them. Nice find!

Kayla Rupp said...

Great find! I bought mine with wedding gift money 8 years ago. After wearing them non-stop (in warm months) since, they still look almost new and feel like the day I bought them.

Definitely the best five bucks you will have ever spent!