Monday, January 17, 2011

Walk There: Fanno Creek Greenway Trail

Since the weather has been a bit warmer (50s and rainy), and since we were headed to Tigard (about half an hour from our house) to pick up a Craigslist purchase anyway, we decided to try the walk along a portion of the nearby Fanno Creek Greenway Trail.

Thinking we wouldn't be able to walk the entire 2.5 mile stretch and back before dark, we planned to walk for half an hour, then turn around. At the half hour point, I said we should keep going, because I'd remembered seeing a bathroom symbol at a park on the map, which was probably just ahead.

When we reached it, that park had a sign for a bathroom, but there was none in sight, so we continued around the bend to the far end of the park--it had to be there! But, alas, no bathroom. Ok, downtown Tigard would be a few blocks down the path and through this neighborhood, which it was but--my goodness! What do people have against public bathrooms?!? We kept walking and walking and finally ventured of the "trail" and down a main road toward a gas station. At this point, we'd been walking over an hour and I really had to go!

After our stop, I was more relaxed and able to enjoy the scenery and conversation than I had been for the half hour before. What a great trail! It wound along with the small but swift Fanno Creek on one side and backyards, parks and woods on the other. Here and there, the grassy areas expanded and there would be a play structure or bench or half basketball court. And though the plants and trees had no leaves, the grass was greener than green from this constant rain.

I sadly forgot my trusty companion, my camera, for this outing, but I did snap one super high quality photo (above) with my phone.

It was dark and our feet were tired by the time we reached our car, but we were happy and quickly re-energized by a stop at a favorite running store (where I found new shoes at 50% off--yee!), and then at a newly-discovered bakery for some samplins and a cookie.

My pedometer goal most days is 7,000 to 10,000 steps, but I ended that day with over 15,000! Not bad, little legs. Not bad.

No comments: