Saturday, March 26, 2011

Project: Simplify: baby stuff

So this week of Project: Simplify was a bit easier for us, as hot spot #3 is officially "toys and/or kids' clothes" and we do not yet have kids. (If you want to get really technical about it, I'm not a parent yet, and the blog hosting the challenge is Simplemom.net, but I can honestly say that both parts of the name are things I'm aspiring to be.) We have, however, begun collecting baby stuff--gifts, borrowed items, hand-me-downs--so it was a good week to finally organize some of that stuff.

Here was one of my little collecting corners, plus the bassinet some friends lent us:

I cleaned out this empty dresser and put some stuff away here (like non-newborn clothes and diapers)...

...then had Eric move some stuff around in the other room.

He put together this changing table, also a loaner, and switched the dressers with the shelves and I filled the baskets with diapers and newborn clothes. Now we've got this handy changing area right next to the bathroom!

I also moved a few baby items that we won't be using for a while into the storage closet at the back of the house. As I look at these photos, I'm struck by the fact that we don't have a single thing on the walls in the bedrooms. I would like for that to change. Hmm...anyone have ideas?

It's been fun to see Eric take the organization process seriously. I didn't realize until he told me that when he cleaned out his closet, he organized his shirts--short-sleeves together, then solid button-downs, then checked button-downs... Wow. He's been putting his shoes away when he takes them off (a small miracle) and even suggested that I could use the top shoe spots to hang my slippers before getting into bed! Sort of like a guest row. Cause even though it's our bedroom, only his clothes are stored here.

In case you get your kicks looking at other people's messes (and inspired by their newly organized spaces) like I do, you can go to the results pages, like this one and scroll down.

No comments: