Saturday, March 12, 2011

Project: Simplify -- the closet!

Warning: the pictures in this post are not for the squeamish!

My friend, Abby, recently took on the Project: Simplify challenge posed by Simple Mom and I decided to join her (the nesting instinct is real, people!)! The first step is actually writing a family purpose statement, but we haven't done that yet (I'm excited about sitting down with Eric to do it soon, though!). Every week, a new hot spot is announced, and participants agree to post before and after pictures. Gulp.

Hot Spot #1 is the closet/clothing area. I don't actually hang up most of my everyday clothes, so I don't go in my closet very often, but I do store my shoes there. A few things you might notice:

1. there is a hanging shoe storage thingy, but most of the items in it are not shoes;
2. there is a second hanging shoe storage thingy in the basket on the floor, still in its package (helpful, I know);
3. my closet may or may not have a floor.


Here's what the rest of the room looked like. This used to be our bedroom, but we moved our bed to the other room and started collecting gifts and loaned baby gear here. It also serves as my changing room, as it houses my dressers and closet.

So, I pulled out everything that was on the floor, turned pandora to something lively, and got to work. I ended up getting rid of about a third of the shoes that were in there, plus a bunch of clothes. Thankfully, our church is having a rummage sale next month, so I had Eric take the stuff over right away. The pregnant lady's not supposed to be lifting those heavy grocery bags of clothes, you know. I also packed away some clothes that I won't be wearing for several more months, put the bags and suitcases in a storage closet and organized what was left. Turns out, my closet does have a floor, and it needed to be vacuumed very badly! Ta da!


And just for kicks, I cleared out the rest of the room, too!

It actually feels good to go in that room again! And I love that every pair of shoes (even my slippers!) has its place. I'm not sure that there has been a time in my entire life when I could say that.

Anyone else want to simplify with me? You'll be glad you did!

2 comments:

Abby Green said...

Nice work mama!!!

JB said...

awesome!! I feel so good for you :) Milk that nesting for all you can girl - its so worth it. way to go!